Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Snowbank Blues

So. I got stuck in a snowbank today. The snowbank located directly next door. I didn't even make it to the end of my street, yo!

A series of events led to this snowbank. I got up an hour and a half later than I was supposed to as we were to have our belated staff Christmas party today at noon which is when I usually get to work over Interim and I needed to get there early. So I was in a hurry for that. I didn't let my windows completely defrost on the inside as I was in a hurry (no worries, I could still see, just the far edges were a little blurry!). And last but not least, I was trying to avoid two kids walking home from school who thought that they should walk down the middle of the road when a car is coming. I moved over too far and ended up with my right bumper in a snowbank. I tried to back out but every time I tried, the kids kept getting closer to the car. I finally rolled down the window to tell them I needed some room to back up. Have I mentioned before that I'm not particularly fond of children?

Anyways, all that stopping and starting got me even more stuck. I called the tow truck and the lady said that it would take some time as one truck was just leaving Ft. Dodge and one had a call just outside of town. I gave her my number and walked home (next door! how embarrassing!). I was on the phone with my mom venting about how I got stuck (next door!) when my neighbor (from next door!) knocked on my door and offered to pull me out. I called the tow truck back but the lady said he was on his way. We actually met him right when my neighbor was starting to hitch up my car. He left and I hope that they don't charge me. Keep your fingers crossed!

So, my neighbor got me out, I circled the block and pulled into my driveway and called it good. Then I called my mom back and ranted some more.

On the bright side, the University is closing today so I don't have to take any PTO. Yay for paid day off! Except for the snowbank part. I could have lived without that. Also, I got most of my groceries for the month last night (how's that for being prepared?) so I won't starve any time soon.

So the kitties and I have taken up residence on the couch. We just finished Bedknobs & Broomsticks, totally one of my faves. Trying to get up the energy to start on my mountain of dirty dishes.

Btw, would it be bad of me to hope that tomorrow is another snow day? I was just thinking that well, I don't work Friday or Saturday and if we get Thursday off as well, I could be looking at a four day weekend! Awesome!


Laters.

No comments: